Estrogen dominance is one of the biggest issues affecting women over 35. Your period and PMS are from hell. Heavy bleeding, fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, and intense cramping have become your new normal. Your mood is all over the place, and you just don’t feel like YOU anymore.
Think you might be estrogen dominant but aren’t sure? Check out this assessment to find out!
Unfortunately, doctors are quick to prescribe hormone replacement as you get closer to menopause. Your issue is obviously with your hormones, so hormones are the solution, right?
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) puts you at a much higher risk of developing hormone-based cancers and conditions because they aren’t treating the root cause.
See, the reason you become estrogen dominant in the first place is that your body (specifically your liver) becomes inefficient at cycling out excess estrogens from your bloodstream, leaving them to recirculate back into the body.
When you use HRT and add even MORE synthetic hormones to this mess, guess what happens? Your detox pathways get even more clogged up. You don’t feel better. You’re right back where you started.
If you are confident you have estrogen dominance, you are not trapped feeling this way. Taking some time to understand what’s really going on in your body and using natural supplements and lifestyle choices to support your body’s ability to heal is the way you’ll get back to yourself again.
Estrogen Pathways Are Where It Begins
In a nutshell, there are three different ways your liver breaks down extra estrogen in your body to take it out of commission and prevent it from accumulating:
- The first, 2-OH pathway, is the safest, least cancerous pathway. This is the one we want to encourage (I’ll share how below).
- Next, 4-OH pathway is the most dangerous pathway. Estrogens that follow this path increase your risk of cancers.
- Finally, 16-OH pathway is the one that causes things to proliferate or grow. The estrogen remains in your body, leading to estrogen dominance. It also causes things like heavy or fibrous breasts during PMS and heavy periods, clots, and uterine fibroids.
THIS is why I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to support your liver. It is literally the gatekeeper to safe estrogen metabolism. The condition of your liver determines which pathway the estrogen follows in your body.
Now let’s talk about how you can leverage supplements to support each phase of your liver’s detoxification process:
Liver Detox Phase 1 for Clearing Excess Hormones
This is where the liver converts estrogen to the different metabolites I just covered.
- Cruciferous vegetables: One of the best ways to encourage the 2-OH pathway is to eat cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cauliflower, broccoli sprouts, and Brussels sprouts. If you’re looking for an easier way to get the benefits of these vegetables, sulforaphane and DIM are powerful supplements that pack in the benefits of pounds and pounds of these vegetables into convenient pills to help your liver metabolize estrogen.
- Glutathione: This is a powerful antioxidant to support your liver’s ability to detox safely and effectively.
- Resveratrol: This is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that can help you support your liver’s health. Studies also show that it can prevent breast cancer by limiting how estrogen interacts with your DNA.
- Quercetin cuts inflammation in your liver to help it function more efficiently. There is also some research indicating it may act as an anti-estrogen in your body to help get your levels under control.
Essentially Whole Hormone Balance is a supplement I personally formulated to combine the power of DIM, sulforaphane, and resveratrol with other hormone powerhouse vitamins, minerals, and herbs. It’s the best way to give your body what it needs to keep your estrogen in check in one convenient place! Click here to shop now.
Liver Detox Phase 2 for Hormone Support
This is where the liver neutralizes the metabolites and prepares them to be expelled from your body. Also called methylation or conjugation, Phase 2 detoxification makes the metabolites water-soluble so you can get rid of them safely through your digestion. IF YOU DON’T METHYLATE your estrogens, they will re-enter your bloodstream and cause estrogen dominance.
Supporting Phase 2 with supplements focuses on cutting inflammation and pushing your body to neutralize the estrogen metabolites effectively. All the supplements from Phase 1 are also helpful here, plus:
- Choline: This is an essential nutrient that your liver relies on for the methylation process. Research shows that choline supplements protect your liver and keep it functioning at its best.
- Methylated B Vitamins: These are a must. Your body NEEDS B vitamins to kickstart the methylation process. But if your B vitamin supplement isn’t methylated or activated, your body will have to go through another process to get it ready to use (and many of us struggle with that activation step). What does that mean? You can be taking B vitamin supplements, but you won’t get to experience their effects because your body gets hung up on the activation step.
That’s why I created Essentially WholeTM Active B Complete. It contains the ideal balance of each B vitamin in a form that’s already activated to support healthy methylation and detoxification in your body. Click here to get Active B Complete now!
Digestive Support for Clearing Hormones
Once your liver has done its duty of metabolizing and neutralizing the estrogen in your body, it’s up to your gut to get it out before it can recirculate in your body, but there are a few hang-ups here that can make your estrogen dominance worse:
- Gut inflammation: If your gut is inflamed, it’s likely that some of these particles could be re-entering your bloodstream thanks to leaky gut (or gut dysbiosis). Removing inflammatory foods (like sugar, grains, and dairy) and taking digestive enzymes can help heal your gut and keep the waste where it belongs.
- Slow elimination: That’s right, if you don’t poop every day, the waste has more of a chance of re-entering your body. One of the best ways to support healthy bathroom habits is with Magnesium supplements (click here for the one I recommend).
- Imbalanced bacteria: Your microbiome is essential for keeping things moving in your gut. Quality probiotics and fermented foods can help support your intestinal bacteria to make sure the estrogen gets OUT.
Dr. Mariza’s Supplements for Estrogen Dominance
I know looking at this list may feel daunting at first, so I want to do everything I can to make this as simple as possible. I know what it feels like to feel so desperate for a solution. I was in that place where I said every day, “I just want SOMEONE to tell me what to do to make this better!”
If you’re there too, here’s a simple protocol you can follow to get your liver and gut back to working their best so you can get your estrogen dominance under control:
- Essentially WholeTM Hormone Balance (2 capsules in the morning and 2 capsules in the evening)
- Essentially WholeTM Active B Complete (1 capsule every morning)
- Choline (250-500 mg per day)
- Essentially WholeTM Magnesium Restore (300-450 mg every night, taken 30 minutes before bed)
PLEASE NOTE: Not all magnesium supplements are the same. This dosage recommendation only applies to Magnesium Restore’s pure formulation of magnesium biglycinate and magnesium oxide. Magnesium citrate, chloride, malate, lactate, sulfate, etc. will NOT be as effective and may lead to digestive upset.
- Probiotics should be taken every day, whether in the form of food or a pure supplement. Some good food options are fermented vegetables (sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles, etc.), dairy-free yogurt (as long as it’s not full of sugar), and coconut kefir.
- Digestive enzymes taken shortly before you eat, at least once a day (more if you feel like your body needs it). Make sure the enzymes you take include protease (to break down protein), amylase (to break down carbs), and lipase (to break down fat) so you cover all your bases!
If you’re ready to fight back against estrogen dominance, this is where you start! By supporting your liver and gut, you can give your body what it needs to break down and remove excess estrogen from your body so you can get yourself back.
Free Download: Dr. Mariza’s Top 11 Supplements for Hormone Health
Ready to take charge of your own health? Grab this free guide to get you started!