We get to choose to live in a state of fear or panic, or we can choose differently.
Even with everything seeming like it’s falling to pieces around us, we can still choose to focus on the good. We get to show up for those that we love in a very unique way right now. We get to come from a place of service to those who are vulnerable. We get to create meaningful conversations within our own homes with those we love.
The power to shift the narrative from one of fear to hope lies in our hands. We can be the light the world needs right now. That doesn’t mean we ignore what’s happening; it just means we look at it from a perspective of hope and love — even if you are doing it only from your home.
The recent sweeping closures and quarantines have left many of us wondering what to do. In light of this, I want to share some of the things my family and I are doing to prepare for potentially stricter quarantines so we can do our best to respect the guidelines.
I know a change in routine is hard. It’s stressful. It throws everything into chaos.
But this doesn’t have to be a wasted time. Maybe you’ll be able to look back and appreciate all the time you were able to spend in your home and with your loved ones. Maybe looking back, you’ll be able to see this time as when you started prioritizing your own self-care.
Instead of falling into fear, let’s reclaim this time in our homes as a time of refocusing on what really matters. Here are some ways you can do that….
I know the news is hard to watch right now. But it’s important to stay on top of the ever-changing recommendations and guidelines so you can know what you need to do to keep yourself and those around you healthy. Here are some things you can do….
- Follow me on Instagram and Facebook and keep checking in at drmariza.com. I’ll be sure to pass along tips, recommendations, and updates as I get them! (But don’t worry — I’ll keep the hormone content coming, too! Your health doesn’t get put on hold with all of this craziness going on!)
- Catch up on the Essentially You Podcast. There are new episodes two times a week to give you tools you need to support your health. Be sure to listen in to Episode 172: What You Need to Know About the Coronavirus and How to Boost Your Immunity and Episode 175: Top 10 Ways to Immediately Boost Your Immunity and Stay Healthy for immune-specific content!
- Check in with the WHO and CDC. They’re the ones who are keeping a close watch on how everything is progressing, so they have the most recent quarantine recommendations! You can also see a map of current cases from Johns Hopkins by clicking here.
There are lots of misinformation floating around right now, so be careful where you’re getting your updates. As always, I promise to provide you with only the best quality research and tips to support you during this time.
YOUR #1 DEFENSE
With so much big-picture talk going around, it can be hard to determine what specific things you can be doing from home to protect your family’s health. The BEST thing you can do during this (and any) season of widespread threat is to boost your immune system!
Want to know the 2 best things you can do to protect yourself?
- Stay home! Social distancing is the key to flattening the curve, lowering exposure rates, and preventing the spread of this and any seasonal threat.
- Wash your hands with soap for 20-30 seconds frequently.
Check out this blog for my Top 10 Immune-Boosting Tips that can help you support your health naturally.
The Smart Mom’s Guide to Essential Oils is also packed with cleaning, personal care, and medicine cabinet makeover recipes (plus SO much more), so be sure to grab that for even more tips to keep your home and family clean and healthy! These DIY recipes can be made with basic ingredients from your home.
You can also check out how to make Green Cleaning Products to reduce your toxic load and keep your family safe in this blog post!
STOCK UP ON KEY SUPPLEMENTS
At this point, I’m recommending that you stock up on a 60-90 day supply of supplements. While we do not foresee running out or being unable to ship, things are changing so quickly you never know what could happen.
Just because things are at a stand-still right now doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be preparing for life after quarantine. Your body is going to continue its natural cycles and rhythms, and it is going to need your support. These supplements are absolutely essential for your health both now and after this is all behind us!
Here is my list of non-negotiables that you will want to be sure you have enough of to get through this quarantine (and beyond):
- Magnesium is an essential mineral for hundreds of your body’s functions, including your hormones, stress response, sleep, and immunity.
- Vitamin D is essential to reduce your risk of infectious disease by strengthening your body’s immune system. I recommend a dosage of 5,000-10,000 IU of vitamin D (with K2-MK7) each day, especially if you are vitamin D deficient.
- Activated B Complete is a pure form of activated B-complex vitamins to give your cells the perfect balance of these essential vitamins. Every system, including your immunity, benefits from getting enough B vitamins!
- Zen Sleep is formulated with a unique blend of botanicals, nutrients, and neurotransmitters to help support health sleep patterns. Stress and changes in routine can throw off your body’s rhythms, and this supplement is perfect for ensuring you get enough rest naturally! Plus, sleep is an essential part of your body’s defense system. If you’re not getting enough sleep, you’re more likely to get sick!
- Stress Reset is perfect to support a healthy stress response. If changes in routine combined with the anxiety of the unknown has you feeling more stressed than normal, Stress Reset is a perfect tool to use to calm your mind and body. Being stressed taxes your body physically, making you more susceptible to sickness.
- Crave Reset will help you keep your nutrition on track, even with all of the stress you’re facing. Sugar literally slows your immune response for up to 5 hours, so saying NO to sugar is an essential part of staying healthy! Crave Reset balances your neurotransmitters to help you resist stressors and keep your blood sugar balanced by supporting your adrenal health.
- Protein Powder (available in both Paleo and Pea) will give your body the building blocks it needs to maintain your energy and keep your nutrition on track. These powders are delicious additions to your daily smoothies.
- Fiber is an essential part of your body’s detox processes. Getting enough fiber allows your digestive system to keep moving to cycle out the junk and toxins that build up in your body. We just can’t get all we need through diet alone, so this fiber supplement is a perfect way to give your body a boost!
WHAT SHOULD YOU REALLY BE STOCKING UP ON?
With so much flying off the shelves, what do you really need to be making sure you stock up on for your home and kitchen? Times of stress often lead us to indulging in cravings, carbs, and other foods that disrupt your blood sugar and hormone balance.
The best way to combat this tendency is by making sure your kitchen is stocked with hormone-loving, nutrient-dense foods that are the foundation of a healthy immune system. Since produce has such a short shelf-life, finding yourself in quarantine may make you think you have to sacrifice nutrition for the foreseeable future. Here are some ideas of healthy foods you can have on hand that won’t sacrifice health for convenience:
- Canned fruits, vegetables, and beans (just check for organic, no added sugar, low-sodium options). This is an easy way to get fiber and vitamins in your diet. Canned pumpkin in particular is packed with beta-carotene, which your immune system needs to thrive. While fresh is ALWAYS better, this is a compromise that will still promote your health.
- Fish. Seafood is packed with omega-3 fatty acids that your cells rely on to function properly. Buying wild-caught fish that has been either canned in water or frozen is an option that will make for simple meals.
- Soups. Making soups ahead of time and freezing them is an easy way to get nutritious ingredients to last longer. You can use bone broth for extra immune support, plus lots of health-promoting herbs like cilantro, oregano, and thyme to make mealtime choices simple.
- Nuts, seeds, and nut butter (almond butter is my favorite!) are shelf-stable options that are loaded with nutritious ingredients to support your body and make for easy snacking!
- Frozen greens and veggies — while still not as good as fresh — are great options to help you continue your green smoothies and help you get essential vitamins.
- Long-lasting perishables. Foods like apples, bananas, citrus fruits, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and carrots tend to keep longer than other produce options, so stock up on these to add some freshness to your meals.
You know I LOVE my green smoothies, and I’m not willing to let them go even with all of the restrictions we are facing right now! They deliver fiber, protein, healthy fats, and essential vitamins in a simple, convenient way. Click here to see how I craft my smoothies every morning!
Do the best with what you have, and don’t forget to give yourself grace through this whole process. It will be behind us soon.
KEEP MOVING YOUR BODY
Just because you’re stuck at home and things are cancelled, don’t stop prioritizing exercise! Physical activity is SUPER important to your immune health. It allows your blood to circulate and get all the oxygen and nutrients to every cell in your body and flush out the toxins and intruders that slow you down. Here are some simple ways you can keep your body moving:
(If you find yourself with more time on your hands these days, this could also be a fantastic time to find a workout routine that feels good to carry over into your regular routines!)
- Have a dance party! Seriously… do it! Turn on some music and jam out with your partner or kids to burn some calories and get moving!
- 4-minute Tabata intervals can help you personalize a workout that can be as long or as intense as you want. Plus, no extra equipment is needed.
- Take a walk around the block. Some fresh air and vitamin D will do wonders for your physical and emotional health.
- Yoga is a way to gently lead your body into fitness while also caring for your mental health. You can find some great flows on YouTube for any skill level and do them all from your home!
- The Betty Rocker posts daily workout suggestions that combine many different kinds of exercise you can do from home to achieve your fitness goals.
MANAGE STRESS LEVELS WITH SELF-CARE
Anything out of routine will naturally put stress on your body, so it is VITAL that you implement stress-reducing strategies into your days. Self-care is the cornerstone to maintaining physical health. When you’re stressed out, your WHOLE body suffers — including your immune system. Continuing (or starting) daily rituals is an essential part to maintaining not only your health, but also your sanity during this strange time we are living in.
Here are some simple self-care ideas:
- Read a book! If you’ve been wanting to read The Essential Oils Hormone Solution you can grab it for less than $13 on Amazon as a book, audible, or Kindle version.
- Take some time to disconnect and focus on yourself and your family. Have conversations. Play a game. Turn off the TV and your phone and focus on the people who are important.
- Epsom salt bath with Lavender and Cedarwood. Soak away your cares by adding Epsom salts and calming essential oils to a hot bath. Just be sure to limit your soak to 20 minutes, rinse off afterwards, and hydrate well.
- Meditation, deep breathing, and prayer can help center your mind and soothe your stress. For more on the importance of meditation, check out this podcast episode!
- Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water is an important self-care ritual all the time, but especially when you are trying to show extra love to your immune system. Add a drop of Lemon essential oil for added antioxidants and a zesty flavor that will keep things exciting!
- Essential Oils have the powerful ability to interrupt your stress response and restore calm and balance to your mind. Simply inhaling the aroma of Wild Orange, Lavender, or Frankincense is enough to stop stress in its tracks! When you are feeling overwhelmed, put a drop of your favorite oil or blend in your palms, cup your hands over your nose and mouth, and take deep breaths until you feel the stress release its hold on you. Here’s one of my favorite blends to keep nearby for stressful moments:
OVERWHELM BE GONE ROLLERBALL BLEND
8 drops Lavender essential oil
7 drops Cedarwood essential oil
5 drops Vetiver essential oil
4 drops Wild Orange essential oil
4 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
Add essential oils to a 10 mL glass rollerball bottle. Top off with carrier oil of choice. Replace top and cap, and swirl to combine.
USE ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are part of my daily routines anyway, but even MORE so in times like this where everything’s a little crazy! We are diffusing oils like Breathe, OnGuard, citrus oils, Balance, and Lavender every single day right now. Plus OnGuard, Frankincense, Oregano, and Tea Tree are going on my body several times each day for extra immune boosts!
Here are some other great ways to apply the power of oils to your situation:
- Sleep Support. Essential oils have a powerful ability to promote a calm mind and restful sleep. Some of my favorites are Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, and Sandalwood.
- Cleaning. Citrus oils in particular can add power to your cleaning products and freshen up your home at the same time. The Smart Mom’s Guide to Essential Oils has all of my favorite recipes, but you can get a preview of a few staples here.
- Immune Boost. Check out my top 10 oils for immune health here!
- Gut Health. A majority of your immunity begins in your gut, so you want to be sure you’re caring for it. Fennel, Turmeric, Ginger, and Peppermint are my favorites to support a happy gut!
WHAT’S THE TAKEAWAY?
What is going to define this time of uncertainty for you? Is it fear? Anxiety? Joy? Peace? Hope?
I promise to personally show up with hope, peace and gratitude! I plan to be a resource that you can rely on during these moments, no matter what you are experiencing. Please know that I am not going anywhere. All of these changes aren’t going to take me away from providing you with what you need to not only get through this, but thrive despite all that we are facing.
I envision us coming out on the other side of this with a new perspective on what’s important. As a society, we are taking these steps to care for those who are most vulnerable to keep them from getting sick. As individuals, let’s reclaim this time to set our self-care as a priority with all the time we suddenly find ourselves with!
I’ve got your back, and we WILL come through this together!
Keep Your Immunity Up with My Green Cleaning Guide
Create your own non-toxic green cleaning supplies with essential oils.