Tea Tree (Melaleuca) Oil Essential Oil Uses & Benefits
Looking for a powerful essential oil that can help keep your family looking and feeling great? Well, we’ve found it for you! Tea Tree (Melaleuca) oil has truly nourishing properties and many everyday uses.
One of the most common and useful essential oils on the market today, doTERRA’s Tea Tree is extracted from the Melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia) plant. (Not at all associated with the popular hot or cold beverage called tea.) This beneficial oil works as a strong purifier to maintain the immune system* and help it perform against various unwanted threats that can’t be seen by the naked eye.
Just one sniff of this oil and you’ll immediately sense its strong immune and cleansing properties. Its herbaceous, green fragrance is potent and quite distinct–similar to camphor (although most people suggest that Tea Tree’s scent is not quite as strong as camphor).
For centuries the leaves of the Melaleuca tree were native to Australia and used by Aborigines as a remedy for quite a number of ailments. For instance, aboriginal people would crush the leaves of the Melaleuca tree and apply the oily residue to the skin to receive a cooling effect. They would also inhale the scent of the crushed leaves in order to promote a sensation of clearer breathing.
Although ancient peoples may have believed that the oil carried with it magical powers, science has helped us to understand why this powerful oil would be considered magical. The 92 different natural compounds in Tea Tree Oil are what make it useful and beneficial when applied topically, ingested internally, or diffused into the air with a cool mist humidifier.
In this day and age, we don’t have to crush the actual Tea Tree leaves to access the benefits of this oil as the ancients might have done. Instead, we are provided with doTERRA’s Tea Tree essential oil conveniently extracted through the steam distillation process and bottled for convenience, consistency, and safety. doTERRA sources Tea Tree oil from Australia, as they sources all of their essential oils in the plants’ native habitats, which is one of the things I love so much about doTERRA’s oils.
Benefits and Uses for Tea Tree Essential Oil
Applied topically to the skin, Tea Tree Oil provides relief and rejuvenation to skin that might be showing signs of irritation or fatigue. Its deep cleansing properties make it extremely powerful for use in a daily skin regimen for promoting a healthy glow. Because of its mildness, doTERRA Tea Tree is an essential oil that may be applied directly to the skin without needing to be diluted.
Because Tea Tree essential oil has properties which boost immunity and keep away infection, it makes a great addition to a first aid kit. Keep this oil on hand for accidental cuts and scrapes that might be susceptible to infection if not cleaned right away. Others might find the cooling effect of this oil to be useful in bringing relief from skin discomfort or itching related to summer insect bites or sunburn.
Tea Tree works well for maintaining your household and keeping your home free from environmental or seasonal threats. Whether used on surfaces or diffused into the air, this oil helps to support and maintain a healthy environment in your home or workplace.
As a booster to the immune system, doTERRA Tea Tree may promote healthy functioning of the immune system by ingesting the oil internally.* Consider using particularly during the winter months in order to maintain your body’s healthy system functioning and provide an added boost of vitality just when you are feeling worn down by the winter “blahs”.
One important note, particularly when considering using essential oils internally, is that doTERRA is the only brand of oils that we recommend. This is because doTERRA is the only oil brand that is Certified Therapeutic Grade, testing every batch of oils with 7 different purification processes and no artificial ingredients of any kind.
10 Fabulous Applications for Tea Tree Oil
- Try adding a drop or two of Tea Tree essential oil to your regular daily facial cleanser or moisturizer to keep the skin looking and feeling super fresh.
- If shaving causes irritation, add a drop or two of doTERRA oil to a sensitive skin moisturizer and apply to skin following shaving to provide much needed support to skin that is easily irritated by the process of shaving.
- Apply a drop or two of Tea Tree Oil to a cotton ball and dab onto cuts and sores to help keep wounds clean. For sensitive skin, dilute with a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize sensitivity issues.
- Place a few drops of Tea Tree oil in a spray bottle and fill with water. Use as a natural household cleaner for countertops, sinks, doorknobs, and other surfaces that may house unfriendly organisms. Simply spray on and wipe away with a clean cloth.
- Add one drop of doTERRA Tea Tree essential oil to 4 fluid ounces of water, citrus drink, or other beverage and ingest internally for immune system support, particularly for seasonal use with support of the respiratory system and breathing function. *
- Place a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in a small spray bottle and dilute with water. Spray on the skin after rigorous exercise activity to encourage a cooling effect.
- Try using a spray bottle with Tea Tree Oil and water on skin that is irritated due to occasional sun overexposure to promote a feeling of soothing relief.
- For a more passive application of doTERRA Tea Tree to boost the immune system, try adding a few drops of the oil to a cool mist humidifier (hot steam may diminish the effectiveness of the oil), particularly during the cold winter months. This may help to purify the air in the room and will allow your family to breathe in the benefits of this effective oil without having to stop what they are doing.
- If your feet often feel tired and worn out after a walk, try applying a few drops of this oil to the bottoms of your feet for a quick pick-me-up.
- Freshen your breath and clean your mouth by adding a drop or two of doTERRA Tea Tree and Peppermint to water and rinsing as with a mouthwash.
Precautions for Tea Tree Essential Oil
As with most essential oils, care should be taken by pregnant and nursing women or those who are under a doctor’s care. Sensitivity may occur.
Tea Tree Essential Oil FAQ:
What is Tea Tree essential oil used for?
Tea Tree is great for rejuvenating and cleansing your skin, particularly with acne or other imperfections. It also boosts immunity and is great for some everyday first aid needs. I add it to my daily personal care and cleaning routines because of its powerful constituents.
Can Tea Tree be applied directly to skin?
Yes! It is great for addressing problem skin and rejuvenating your complexion. If your skin is sensitive, start by diluting Tea Tree with a carrier oil, or add a drop to whatever natural moisturizer or toner you’re already using, and then work up to using it straight if your skin tolerates it.
Is Melaleuca the same as Tea Tree?
Yes! They are two names for the same oil.
Is Tea Tree oil antibacterial? Does Tea Tree oil really disinfect?
Research indicates that Tea Tree essential oil is a powerful cleanser both to the body and to surfaces.
Ready to Learn More?
If you’d like to better understand how Tea Tree oil can benefit your every day life, and how to get this amazing oil into your hands, let’s get in touch!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Statements with asterisks refer to internal use. All others refer to aromatic or topical use.
If you know you are ready to get started with dōTERRA essential oils, you can sign up with me immediately here