As you may know, our modern world lends to more than just feeling overworked and stressed. We are also exposed to daily toxins that take a toll on our body.
Each day your body accumulates so much junk emotionally, chemically and physically.
This leaves your endocrine system and hormone pathways especially vulnerable to toxins in your cleaning products, over-the-counter drugs and even personal care products. The average woman is exposed to over 100 toxic chemicals each day (yes, you read that right!). And it’s having a negative impact on your reproductive and metabolic hormones.
These persistent toxins can stay in your body for years, slowly damaging your sleep, energy, and brain function, and even causing weight gain. It’s no wonder we can’t lose weight, even when we think we are doing everything right.
To get a more clear picture of what toxic buildup looks like, I want to point out some of the most common symptoms that toxins are burdening that your liver, gut, and cells. As I list out the most common signs along with a brief explanation for each, I want you to do a quick detox assessment to see where you are at.
YOUR DETOX ASSESSMENT
As you read through this list, if you identify with two or more of these scenarios, I highly recommend taking a couple of weeks to detoxify your body to restore your health.
1. Trouble concentrating or struggling with brain fog is a good indicator that you have toxins in your body. Studies have shown that low levels of pesticides (found in fruits, veggies and grains) can impair cognitive function and increase oxidative stress, leading to inflammation in the brain. If you want to dive deeper into this topic, check out my podcast episode here: Essentially You episode #72: Overcome Brain Fog Instantly with Essential Oils and Other Powerful Tools.
2. Sugar cravings are a clear sign that something isn’t right. Your body tends to crave sweet and salty foods due to chronic stress, insulin resistance and Candida. This perpetuates a crazy roller coaster with metabolic hormones causing stubborn belly fat due to imbalanced leptin and insulin levels.
3. Indigestion, gas, bloating and/or constipation are all HUGE signs that your body is needing a detox in order to heal the gut microbiome and improve your nutrient uptake, which leads into number four….
4. Nutrient deficiencies are a clear sign that your body is either running through key hormone supporting nutrients or your gut is not absorbing the nutrition you are consuming each day. Key nutrients to look out for are magnesium, B vitamins, vitamins D, A, and C, zinc and selenium.
5. Skin breakouts and eruptions are a clear indicator that your body has a buildup of toxins. Rashes, eczema, acne and excessively dry skin are all common signs. When your gut and liver are compromised, your skin is the next option for your body, so it tends to be one of the first things to reveal that something isn’t right with your detox pathways.
6. Feeling anxious or depressed. Built-up toxins in your gut and brain can create inflammation that blocks your feel-good neurotransmitters and receptor sites. This creates an imbalance, leading to feelings of anxiety and sadness.
7. Chronic fatigue is one that I see every single day. Chronic fatigue is caused by mitochondrial dysfunction in our cells because of toxic exposure. Our mitochondria are very sensitive to toxins and they go into shutdown mode if they feel compromised. If you’re dragging throughout the day, this is your body’s way of telling you it needs help; and resetting your hormones is the first step.
8. Difficulty losing weight is ALWAYS a symptom of something bigger, and toxins and stress are usually at the root. When your gut and liver are inflamed, your thyroid, metabolic hormone and insulin levels become imbalanced. This causes your body to slow down metabolism and hold onto fat, especially around the belly. This weight can be very hard to lose without a detox.
9. PMS and irregular periods are caused by inflammation in your liver. This is where your detox pathways for your hormones (especially estrogen) are supposed to happen. Inflammation slows down this process, causing estrogen dominance and decreased progesterone levels. This lends to severe PMS and, over time, irregular periods and the loss of ovulation.
10. Chronic infections usually indicate that your body is SCREAMING for a detox. This includes illnesses like colds, yeast infections, Candida, mold, and sinus infections just to name a few. When your gut is inflamed, your immune system is compromised and the door is opened wide for co-infections.
11. Headaches and migraines are another big sign that your body is needing a detox. Headaches could be due to low levels of progesterone, a sluggish liver and overall inflammation.
DO YOU NEED A DETOX?
So how did you do on the assessment? I know that before I discovered the 3 keys to unlocking my body’s healing potential through a detox, I had just about ALL of these…. and I know that is NO way to live.
You may be thinking these things are normal. Yes, they are common, but it doesn’t have to be this way.
You CAN live a life full of abundance, energy, and grace, free of symptoms that hold you back. As these issues continue to mount in your life, you may be feeling like I was: desperate for a solution. The solution for each of these is a detox.
A detox is the best, most efficient way of giving your body the reset it’s crying out for.
Detoxing your body and hormones is an absolute must, and it’s the one area that most doctors overlook.
Detoxing means cleaning out the body, removing toxins, cleaning out your junked up hormone receptor sites, and resetting metabolic and reproductive hormone pathways. This allows your hormones to get back into balance.
We clean our home, we put Drano in our drains, and we declutter our desks. We want things flow smoothly so our space and our minds can perform optimally and be clutter-free.
So, why wouldn’t we remove the gunk that builds up in our hormonal systems from chemicals in our food, endocrine disruptors in plastics and heavy metals in our environment?
Given the environment we are exposed to each day, I recommend that everyone do a detox for at least 14 days a couple times a year. This practice is critical in maintaining cellular longevity, happy functioning hormones, and cellular communication between your hormones and their receptor sites.
Detoxifying the body can literally flip the switch towards healing in just a matter of a few weeks.
Click here to learn my top 7 reasons your hormones need a detox.
THE DETOX SOLUTION YOU’VE BEEN WAITING FOR
If you are ready to take the first step toward healing your body and claiming victory over your brain fog, cravings, stubborn belly fat and more, I want to invite you to take part in my 14-Day Hormone Detox.
This program is perfect for just about anyone. It is designed to be adaptable to any lifestyle and dietary preference (if you are vegan/vegetarian, if you have food allergies–you name it!). Since this detox works to clean our your body and reduce inflammation, it supports your healing no matter what other medical conditions you may be facing.
Here are a few things to look forward to…
- Delicious, real-food recipes that will leave you feeling satisfied (maybe for the first time in a LONG time)
- Powerful self-care rituals that harness the power of essential oils to show your body the love and respect it deserves
- A supportive community where you can share your wins, ask questions, and help yourself stay on track
- Liver-loving protocols to declutter your detox pathways and restore balance to your body… and so much more!
You will have everything you need to harness the restorative power within your body to reset your hormones and achieve whole body healing.
If you resonated with 2 or more of the items in my Detox Assessment above, don’t put it off any longer. Your body is crying out for a detox. It’s time to listen and take the first step to restore the vitality that you thought was gone for good. Open the door to healing, and join me today!