Scrolling through your news feed or turning on the news invites fear to enter your mind, especially concerning environmental threats, seasonal bugs, and other nasties that threaten your immune system. All you have to do is tap on that app to see the fear that people feel about anything that threatens their well-being.
And you have every right to be overwhelmed, afraid, and worried.
But there are preventative measures that you and your family can take to strengthen the protective barrier of your immune system, supporting your body in its own healing processes.
In addition to a solid nutritional foundation and avoiding everyday toxins in personal care and beauty products, you can support your body by alleviating the stress of worry and supporting it with essential oils. These powerful compounds contain properties that support your body’s immune system so that you can be protected from the inside out.
One of THE BIGGEST wins for me in supporting my body was beginning my journey with essential oils.
These safe and versatile products can be used in many ways…
- In your household cleaning products
- Diffusing them to purify the air you breathe
- Topically to support your body’s systems, particularly your immune system
- Internally (in some cases) to give your body instant immune-boosting support
TOP 10 OILS TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNITY
Here are my favorite go-to essential oils for immunity to support your body and fight all the bugs that circulate during this — and any — time of the year:
- Clove essential oil is an antioxidant powerhouse that supports your body’s health all the way down to a cellular level. It is a hot, spicy oil, so be sure to dilute it when you use it topically. However, its warming scent is sure to bring comfort along with its immune-boosting properties!
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil has powerful cleansing and immune-boosting benefits that accompany its delicious, spicy aroma and flavor. Add some kick to your morning tea or coffee or take it internally in a capsule to give your immune system the support it needs to keep you healthy. It’s also a great one to cleanse surfaces and purify the air, or you can gargle 1 drop of Cinnamon Bark essential oil along with 1 Tbsp of water to soothe your throat.
- Eucalyptus essential oil provides respiratory support along with its cleansing and freshening properties. By opening your airways and cleansing the air you breathe, this is a great one to diffuse or use in your cleaning products.
- Rosemary essential oil has powerful constituents that support your body’s immune system. You can use it aromatically, topically, or internally to harness its power. You can also add it to your cleaning products for extra protection.
- Oregano essential oil is perfect for boosting your immune system, providing respiratory support, and cleansing surfaces and air. It’s also a powerful antioxidant that supports your overall health! Combining a drop of Oregano with some of these other powerhouse oils will enhance their benefits for your body.
- Frankincense essential oil is grounding and balances your mood while supporting your body’s immune system. It can also be added to your natural cleaning products for natural support around the house.
- Citrus Oils, like Lemon and Wild Orange, offer a rejuvenating, refreshing aroma along with powerful cleansing and immune-boosting properties. They are high in antioxidants and other immune-supporting compounds, so taking citrus oils internally every day is a great way to set yourself up for success. This can be as simple as putting a drop in your first glass of water of the day. They are also potent surface cleansers that purify your home and the air you breathe when you use them in your cleaning products!
- Peppermint essential oil contains menthol, which is a perfect respiratory aide. Whether you need to support your lungs or perk up your senses, inhaling the aroma of Peppermint offers immediate results!
- Melaleuca (or Tea Tree) essential oil can help maintain a healthy environment in your home or office because of its potent cleansing and purifying properties. It is a strong immune-boosting oil that you can take with you everywhere you go.
- Cardamom essential oil has a spicy, cooling aroma that supports natural respiration and your immune system as well. Combine with citrus oils and diffuse for a delightful scent that will support your entire family at once.
MY FAVORITE IMMUNITY BLENDS
I get it if this list seems daunting. Where do you start?!
You really can’t go wrong with any of these. As you can see, many of them have similar benefits, and putting different combinations of these together only amplifies their effectiveness. Anything is better than the chemical-filled cleaning products that fly off the shelves of stores this time of year, so I’m so glad you are taking the steps to support the health of your family with these natural options!
Here are a few blends you can use to take some of the guesswork out of putting these powerful oils to use to support your immunity and overall health:
OnGuard Protective Blend from DoTERRA is a proprietary blend of many of these immune powerhouse essential oils to protect you and your family from seasonal and environmental threats. Perfectly formulated to be put to use immediately, a whole line of OnGuard products (sanitizing mists, hand soaps, pre-diluted touch rollerball blends, and more) are available for convenient immune protection. One of my favorite ways to use this powerful oil is to simply add a drop (along with a drop of Lemon) to a glass of water for some daily immune support!
Breathe Respiratory Blend from DoTERRA harnesses all of these respiratory-supporting oils in one convenient package to support easy breathing and protect you from seasonal and environmental threats. You can diffuse it in your home, or apply it to your chest and feet to help keep your airways clear. It’s a great one to diffuse at night to help promote restful sleep, too!
IMMUNE SUPPORT ROLLERBALL BLEND
4 drops Lemon essential oil
4 drops Melaleuca essential oil
4 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
4 drops Frankincense essential oil
2 drops Oregano essential oil
Add essential oils to a 10ml glass rollerball bottle and top off with carrier oil of choice. Replace top and cap and swirl to combine. Apply daily to your spine, bottoms of your feet, and pulse points during sickness seasons, or more often if you’ve been exposed or feel something coming on.
Note that this blend is formulated for adults. Check out this post for kid-appropriate immune-boosting blends!
Despite your best efforts, sometimes your immune system may need a boost when sickness threatens. To fully support your body through these trying times, try one of the blends below that I always have with me!
IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT ROLLERBALL BLEND
16 drops Lemon essential oil
12 drops Melaleuca essential oil
12 drops On Guard essential oil
10 drops Oregano essential oil
Combine oils in a glass 10-ml rollerball bottle. Top off with carrier oil of choice, replace top and cap, and swirl to combine. Apply every 2 hours to your feet for immune-boosting support.
HOMEMADE THROAT COAT SYRUP
1 tsp. organic local honey
1 drop Lemon essential oil
1 drop Orange essential oil
1 drop Frankincense essential oil
1 drop Peppermint essential oil
Combine all ingredients together thoroughly and swallow for immediate soothing relief and natural support!
THE BOTTOM LINE
Environmental threats surround us daily, but supporting your immune system year-round with essential oils and natural products can give you a step-up against the battle. Avoid getting lost in the fear and be confident knowing you’ve done all you can to prepare.
And even when threats arise, you can stand strong knowing you can fight the battle by supporting your immune system every step of the way. Combining essential oils with other tools like proper nutrition, supplements, avoiding sugar, getting enough sleep, and soothing stress to maintain your health is a fantastic way to give the body the boost it needs!
Reduce Your Toxic Load with My Green Cleaning with Essential Oils Guide
Ready to take charge of your own health? Grab this free guide to get you started!