Thyroid dysfunction is everywhere. Estimates show that 1 in 8 women will develop thyroid dysfunction—and up to 60% of those may be going around for YEARS undiagnosed.
I was one of them.
When I was facing bone-crushing fatigue, overwhelming brain fog, painful IBS and gut issues, stubborn weight gain, and so many other symptoms… I was so confused.
I had always been a “healthy” person. I exercised daily. I ate nutritious foods. But there was something lurking in my body that even my doctors were missing.
For a couple of years, I suffered through these symptoms, trying to find something—anything—that would help me.
Then when I finally ran a full thyroid panel and uncovered Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, it all made sense.
For YEARS, I’d had this underlying autoimmune condition that was sabotaging my thyroid, which down the line also impacted my weight, energy, sleep, mood, temperature regulation (I was ALWAYS cold), and other hormones like estrogen and progesterone balance.
If I had left it up to my doctors, I still may not know that this was happening because full-spectrum thyroid testing is still not standard for conventional medical care.
Your thyroid health impacts every single system and cell in your body—and if you’re facing unexplained symptoms like I was, it’s time to take a deep dive and get some lasting relief!
If you’re unfamiliar with the types of thyroid hormones or want a clear breakdown of what a full thyroid panel actually looks like, check out this post! >>
Symptoms of Low Thyroid Function
Since your thyroid is SO critical for so many systems in your body, thyroid dysfunction can manifest in many, many unique ways. The only way to know for sure what’s happening is to get the full thyroid panel I linked to above.
But here are some things to watch out for that can point you to explore your own thyroid function:
- Weight gain (often it’s sudden and VERY hard to lose)
- Puffiness in your face
- Feeling cold (especially in your hands or feet)
- Decreased sweating
- Dry skin and hair or hair loss
- Brain fog and memory struggles
- Irregular period
- Struggles to get pregnant
- Muscle aches and joint stiffness
** A note for women in perimenopause: if you read the list above and identify with these symptoms, it’s common for doctors to explain these things away as “part of aging,” leaving an underlying thyroid issue undiagnosed. Especially if you’re between the ages of 35-50 and you’re experiencing these things, request a full thyroid panel (listed here). Identifying this root cause can eliminate lots of suffering in the years ahead if you address it now! **
Other Factors That Affect Thyroid Function
A whole-body approach to healing your thyroid is always going to be most effective. Whether you have a diagnosis of low thyroid function, just suspect it may be an issue for you, or even if you want to protect your thyroid from future damage, here are some things to consider:
Food. Certain foods cause systemic inflammation that can ravage your thyroid function. Sound serious? It is. Check out this post for the biggest culprits >>
Toxins. An increased toxic burden will slow your thyroid function. Avoiding chemical-filled personal care products and household cleaners is a great first step, but regular detoxing is critical to stay healthy in the world we’re living in! Check out this post to learn more about why detoxing your hormones is so crucial.
Cortisol & Insulin. Cortisol, Insulin, and Thyroid are the trinity of primary hormones you NEED to pay attention to, especially over age 35. Cortisol is a primary stress hormone, and elevated cortisol levels suppress your thyroid to the point that it is underactive. This is why addressing your stress is ALWAYS foundational to your healing, no matter what it is you’re facing! Insulin resistance and thyroid dysfunction often go hand-in-hand. Your thyroid is essential for breaking down and using sugars from your bloodstream, and any disruption there will affect how your body responds to insulin.
Nutrient deficiencies. If you’re lacking key nutrients (and HINT: virtually all of us are), your thyroid is going to be one of the primary things that will suffer. Building a solid foundation with magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D, and minerals is an essential place to start BEFORE adding these extra supporters like what I mention below. Check out the Essentially Whole® store to get all the criticals high-quality nutrient supplements today >>
Key Thyroid-Supporting Nutrients and Herbs
Once you’ve worked on the foundational elements listed above, what can you do to accelerate thyroid healing and improve the health of this critical gland? Here are some key nutrients and herbs that have been proven to improve thyroid health, balance hormone levels, and more:
- Vitamin A: This vitamin is an unsung hero for thyroid function! It helps regulate activation of your thyroid gland and the use of thyroid hormones throughout your body. (1) Essentially, it’s a critical part of turning on your thyroid hormone receptors in your cells so your body actually uses the thyroid hormones.
- Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin): While all B vitamins have a role in metabolism and energy production, riboflavin is essential to reduce inflammation that aggravates your thyroid gland and the autoimmunity that may be hiding under the surface. Another factor to consider is an MTHFR gene mutation (where you are unable to activate/absorb B vitamins effectively). Riboflavin is an “activating” B vitamin, meaning it is critical to make all the other B vitamins useful in your body. An underactive thyroid can mimic MTHFR in your body, which can lead to further deficiencies in B vitamins and other nutrients, continuing the cycle into stress, migraines, weight gain, low energy, and more. (2)
- Zinc: This important mineral is essential for thyroid hormone creation, and thyroid hormones are essential to absorb zinc so they go hand-in-hand. If you’re low in zinc, you’re likely to have low thyroid, and if your thyroid isn’t working properly, you can pretty much guarantee you’re low in zinc too. (3)
- Selenium: Autoimmune thyroid diseases like Hashimoto’s are detected through finding particular antibodies in your bloodstream. Selenium works to lower these antibody levels to help bring your body into remission, while also preserving the health of your thyroid gland itself! (4)
- Copper: Copper intake has been found to correlate with better free T4 levels in your body (this is the kind that indicates your body is making hormones that can actually be used by your cells). (5)
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: This amino acid is a great option for people with low thyroid as it stimulates healthy production of T3 and T4. (6)
- Forskolin Root Extract: Another herbal remedy with a long history, Forskolin Root Extract is a great tool to lower body-wide inflammation and stimulate T3 and T4 production, activating a sluggish thyroid naturally. (7)
Get All of These and More in One Convenient Supplement!
Essentially Whole® Thyroid Support contains all of these incredible natural healing tools (and more!) in one place!
No more swallowing dozens of pills per day…
No more wondering what else you could be doing to help your thyroid…
Just real, lasting healing for your body and relief from your biggest symptoms!
Along with these thyroid-supporting ingredients, Thyroid Support contains these blood sugar, insulin, and cortisol stabilizers to provide a full spectrum of support for your body:
- Manganese: This is an essential nutrient for many metabolic processes. It helps you get energy from the food you eat, while stabilizing the amount of blood glucose and insulin that is circulating in your bloodstream.
- Chromium: Chromium is another trace mineral that is needed for healthy blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity. If this is out of balance, your adrenal glands will receive “stress” signals and release cortisol—which will shut down your thyroid gland even further. (8)
- American Ginseng: Used in herbal remedies around the world for centuries, Ginseng is a great tool to help maintain healthy cortisol and blood sugar levels to eliminate some of the stress these imbalances cause on your thyroid gland.
Thyroid Support is a root-cause approach supplement to help heal your…
- Thyroid gland
- Insulin levels
- Cortisol stability
It also provides critical minerals and nutrients your body needs to stay healthy!