Mamas, let’s be brutally honest – as women, we all have those moments, those days, those weeks when we just can’t contain the witch within. She growls, she moans, she twitches and groans until, little by little, her inner outbursts wheedle their way out and take over our bodies. Your gestures change, your reactions snap, your mood descends like a full-moon night, and all of a sudden you find yourself howling at your kiddos because they dropped some fish crackers on the floor of the car. Fear not, ladies, because Smart Moms know that high-quality essential oils can be the key to keeping hormonal and emotional balance! Add to that some simple routines for self-care and self-love, and you can suddenly see the world more clearly without that transformation into the witch.
Three focal points will guide you on your journey to de-witching your life – Health, Sanity, and Awareness. No one point tops the other in terms of importance; they work in a perfect triangle, balancing each other to keep your Mama Core in check. If one corner starts to weaken, your whole being skews, sometimes until you lose yourselves in the fight for balance. And you topple. And your family suffers. Smart Mamas don’t let this happen. So, let’s talk about the balance.
Mamas go above and beyond to keep their families healthy, often to the point that they neglect their own health. From planning nutritious meals to forcing vitamins down throats, from bundling up bodies to teaching vampire sneezes, mamas are on call 24/7/365 to keep their families protected from threats.
But who takes care of the mama?
The mama does, of course, and high-quality essential oils can make this process simpler than you think. For combatting seasonal and environmental threats, nothing works better than dōTERRA On Guard® Protective Blend. This versatile blend can be diffused, taken internally, applied topically, and used for cleaning everywhere, both in and out of the house. In fact, dōTERRA has a line specifically dedicated to the On Guard® blend and it is so effective that many hospitals are using it in their ventilation systems to purify and cleanse the air. And it smells amaaaaaaazing!
How do Smart Moms use On Guard Protective Blend for themselves?
- Pop one On Guard® Beadlet each day to support your immune system
- Carry DIY On Guard® Hand Cleansing Gel in their purse for no-soap situations
- Use On Guard® and water in a spray bottle for quick cleaning of hard surfaces in sketchy places
- Diffuse in the home and on the go for sustained immune support
- Take On Guard®+ Softgels during times of extreme threats to the immune system
- Apply a few drops to the AC Filter, to the vacuum filter, and on a clothespin clipped to the car vent for stress-free aromatherapy
Smart Moms stay healthy and continuously support their own immune systems so that they can continue to be the foundation of their families. Add this to a balanced diet and a consistent exercise plan, and your family will reap the benefits of a healthy mama.
If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy…or so the saying goes, but we all know that the mood of the mama tends to be the mood of the house. Smart Moms know that their own emotional and mental well-being must be balanced in order to nurse the other emotional, hormonal beings in the house. But sometimes our hormones try to hijack our bodies. Once a month for sure, they try, but other times women can lose themselves when their hormones run amok.
Essential oils can be the first step in regaining control of your hormones. dōTERRA offers three blends that can help to calm, ground, and ease the pain of hormonal imbalance that tries to take over your mood, your mind, and your body: dōTERRA Serenity® Restful Blend, dōTERRA Balance® Grounding Blend, and dōTERRA ClaryCalm® Monthly Blend for Women.
First, let’s talk sleep. dōTERRA Serenity® Restful Blend not only helps to support a restful night’s sleep, but it also contains powerful constituents to calm the mind and soothe the senses. While sleep may be limited from some mamas due to circumstances (babies, sick littles, etc.), Serenity® Restful Blend can help you to sleep when you have time and relax when you just need a moment of peace. Next, comes harmony. dōTERRA Balance® Grounding Blend helps to ease feelings of anxiety and provides the body with overall tranquility and calm. It allows your body to find its center so that it can focus and regroup. Finally, monthly support. dōTERRA ClaryCalm® Monthly Blend for Women is the best oil for that one special time of the month. It calms and soothes heightened emotions during your menstrual cycle so that the witch within doesn’t escape.
How do Smart Moms use Serenity, Balance, and ClaryCalm®?
- Diffuse Serenity before bed at night to support restful sleep
- Dab Serenity or Balance, or layer both, behind the ears and on the décolletage as a soothing perfume
- Rub Serenity into pulse points or tops of feet to calm the body before bed
- Massage Balance into the bottoms of your feet in the morning and at night to ground your body
- Diffuse Balance during the day to promote an overall sense of calm
- Dab Balance on your forehead before yoga, prayer, or meditation
- Roll ClaryCalm on the abdomen for a cool, soothing massage
- Dab ClaryCalm on the wrists and inhale to calm the mind and body during times of stress
- Layer your favorite aromas to an intense calming effect
- Sink into an Epsom salt bath with a few drops of Serenity or Balance added for a blissful calm
Keeping your mood and hormones balanced while supporting your health strengthens two points of the Smart Mama Triangle. Now on to the third!
Being aware of your body and how it functions becomes paramount when you are challenged by juggling a family’s needs. When you add focus and awareness to the other two points, you balance the triangle. Sometimes lack of sleep keeps our attention from where it should be, sometimes mental chatter is the culprit, and others it is just being pulled in a million different directions at once. Two essential oils – Peppermint and Wild Orange – can be the solution to bring your world back into focus. Using these two oils can help you focus on the task at hand, motivate you to succeed, and provide you with all-natural stimulation to get the job done. And not just for you, but for the family as well.
How do Smart Moms use Peppermint and Wild Orange essential oils?
- Pop a Peppermint Beadlet for an instant, all-natural pick-me-up
- Diffuse Peppermint and Wild Orange in the home during the day or during homework times to enhance focus and concentration
- Apply dōTERRA Spa Original Lip Balm made with Peppermint and Wild Orange for an aromatherapy boost and silky-smooth lips
- Put a drop of Peppermint & Wild Orange on a thick cardboard bookmark, a leather diffuser bracelet, or a clay diffuser pendant for continuous aromatherapy-enhanced concentration
- Drop some Peppermint into a tablespoon of carrier oil and massage into tense muscles
It is important to realize that there is no easy fix for finding the balance and kicking the witch to the curb. It takes trial-and-error to figure out the right routine for your body, the right methods of application and use of essential oils for you, and discovering the triggers that might set you into a downward spiral. This is where routines with nutrition, exercise, and essential oils play a key role. But so does positive affirmation and self-love.
Mama, you have to take some time each day for you. Take a relaxing bath after you put the kiddos to bed, or take one first thing in the morning to start your day. Establish a time that is private for mom where the kids need to respect your solitude. Embrace the snuggles and just enjoy hugging your kiddos and drinking in their love while you watch a movie together…or they watch and you rest your eyes or read a book. Make yourself some beauty products with the essential oils mentioned above and treat yourself to a daily massage or just enjoy the fragrance as you moisturize your hands before bed.
Get yourself a journal and start with a Triangle Writing Plan. Start with a Positivity Triangle and write down your successes for the day, moments of joy, and how you shared your love with others. Move to the Negativity Triangle and write down times of struggle, moments of despair, and how love may have been drained from you. Chances are you will find triggers for stress in this downward-pointing triangle. Finally, the Hope Triangle. Brainstorm one way to improve the next day, one way to prevent the witchy mama, and one positive affirmation that you then say aloud to yourself while looking in the mirror.
You are beautiful.
You are strong.
You are capable.
You are enough.
For more on keeping your family balanced and yourself loved, The Smart Mom’s Guide to Essential Oils where you will find page after page of tools for restructuring your life one drop at a time.