Green smoothies are your secret weapon to support your body’s hormone balance.
I’ve had a green smoothie every morning for YEARS, and I can’t even BEGIN to tell you what a difference they’ve made…
- I’m not hungry in the middle of the morning
- I feel energized (without needing lots of caffeine)
- I just KNOW that my gut is thriving
- I’ve been able to lose — and keep off — stubborn weight that I just couldn’t shake before
- My liver is able to remove toxins from my body so my hormones stay in a happy balance
I know giving up a rushed bowl of cereal, piece of toast, or whatever your fall-back breakfast is can be daunting…
But imagine a morning where you don’t crash a couple of hours later… or you don’t feel your blood sugar spike and plummet… or your gut isn’t yelling at you (through constipation, bloating, diarrhea, acid reflux, etc.).
Green smoothies are the easiest way to provide your body the nutrients it needs to keep you energized — in less than 5 minutes!
PLUS you can totally customize the ingredients you include to fit your needs and preferences and make it a complete meal!
Maybe you’ve been a little skeptical… how can you REALLY get all you need for a meal in one smoothie? And won’t you be hungry in a couple of hours?
Let me walk you through the steps that will help you craft the perfect green smoothie!
#1 – Set Yourself Up for Smoothie Success
I’m all about keeping things simple, so here are a few things that will streamline your smoothie routine and make it as easy as possible:
- Get a high-powered blender. This is essential to getting a delicious consistency in your smoothie.
- Make a smoothie station. Keep your blender, accessories, and any non-refrigerated ingredients together on your counter. That way, you won’t have to dig around for anything when it’s time to blend it up!
- Be patient. Let it blend longer than you think so you don’t end up with a “chunky” (because no one likes that!). Allow it to blend for at least 1 full minute (and maybe more) to get the SMOOTH-ie that you’re going to love.
#2 – Pack It Full of Greens and Fruit
Making a green smoothie each morning will help you get more vegetables before lunch than most people have all day long!
Play with your combinations here and find what you like. Fresh is always best, so I love going to my local farmer’s market and letting what I can find there determine what goes into my smoothies that week!
Here are some of the staple ingredients I keep coming back to:
- For greens, spinach is going to be the mildest flavor. But you can easily use kale, swiss chard, beet greens, collards, celery, or really anything green to bulk up your breakfast! I use about 2 cups per smoothie.
- For fruit, I try to stick to berries because they are so full of antioxidants and vitamins that will give your body a boost without being too high in natural sugars. Blending in frozen berries is my favorite way to add flavor and chill the whole mixture without watering it down! Shoot for about 1 cup of fruit per recipe (but you can easily go up or down on this depending on your preferences).
- For liquid, you want to avoid sugar-filled fruit juices. Since I also avoid dairy, I typically use either water or coconut water as my base. If you want something creamier, coconut or almond milk are great options!
#3 – Add Smoothie Boosters to Make It a Meal!
Now that you have the basics of fruit, greens, and liquid, the next step to a hormone-healing green smoothie is to add protein, fiber, and fat so your smoothie can take the place of a meal! Here’s why…
Protein Supports Your Muscle Health
As you get older, getting enough protein is an essential part in protecting your muscles (especially if you are trying to lose weight, or have just lost weight recently). It is also helpful for…
- Making you feel energized (no more mid-morning slump)
- Supporting a healthy metabolism (hello, weight loss)
- Keeping your blood sugar balanced (which means fewer cravings!)
Most protein powders are packed with additives, sweeteners, and inflammatory ingredients that work against your body. My Essentially Whole® Paleo Daily Protein (or Pea Daily Protein as a vegan option) is the only brand I trust to deliver the ideal balance of branch-chain amino acids without any of the junk. Click here to shop now.
Fiber Promotes Your Gut Health and Helps Your Body Detox Effectively
Most Americans get only 12 grams of fiber every day when you really need 35-45 to keep your body working its best…yikes!!
Fiber is essential for supporting healthy digestion, keeping your gut bacteria balanced, and enabling your body to get rid of excess toxins and hormones like estrogen that lead to imbalances that are the root cause of so many chronic issues like:
- Lack of energy
- Sleep problems
- Irregular periods or heavy bleeding
- Chronic constipation, diarrhea, bloating, acid reflux, or other digestive discomforts
- Severe PMS
- Headaches or migraines
- Mood instability, anxiety, or depression
Fiber is an important piece of giving your body what it needs to stay in balance! Many fiber supplements are gritty and rough on your body (making you feel bloated or just bleh after taking them).
Essentially Whole® Pure Daily Fiber is formulated to be gentle on your body while still giving you what you need. It works beautifully into smoothies so you can get your fiber intake up to where it needs to be! Click here to shop now.
Healthy Fats Help You Stay Full Longer
Fats have such a bad rap, but they are crucial for your health. They are the building blocks of hormones, so your body needs daily healthy fat intake to keep your body in its proper balance. Fats combat inflammation and, since they take longer to digest, they help you feel full longer so you can ditch your mid-morning slump that drives you to the breakroom for a donut!
By far, my FAVORITE way to add a dose of healthy fat (and a luscious, smooth texture) to my smoothies is by blending in half of an avocado. A serving of avocado not only supplies your body with essential healthy fats, but they are also packed with B vitamins, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin E, and fiber.
Research also shows that consuming avocado along with other vegetables and fruits increases how many nutrients you are able to absorb from those foods. Adding avocado to your already nutrient-packed green smoothie helps you get even MORE benefits!
Some other great fat options are a few tablespoons of coconut butter, coconut oil, or almond butter.
So now that you’ve got the green smoothie basics down, let’s dive into some recipes. Here’s a base recipe you can use to customize your perfect breakfast, plus one of my FAVORITE hormone-loving smoothie recipes that I make at least once a week!
Green Smoothie Base Recipe
1-2 cups preferred liquid, or more to achieve desired consistency (water, coconut water, coconut or almond milk are all great here)
2 cups fresh greens
1 cup frozen berries (or other fruit, to taste)
A few tablespoons of healthy fat (almond butter, coconut butter, coconut oil, or half of avocado all work great)
1-2 scoops Vanilla Paleo (or Pea Daily Protein)
2 tsp Pure Daily Fiber
Add greens and liquid to blender. Blend on low until the greens start breaking down, then increase to medium speed until smooth. Add in the rest of your ingredients and blend on medium to high speed for about 1 minute, or until you have the consistency you want!
Hormone Love Smoothie
1-2 scoops Vanilla Paleo Daily Protein (or Pea Daily Protein, for vegans)
2 cups baby kale or spinach
½ lemon, squeezed
1 cup frozen raspberries and/or blueberries
2 tsp Pure Daily Fiber
½ medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
½ cup purified water
Add the kale or spinach, water and unsweetened vanilla almond milk to a high-powered blender. Start blending on low and, as kale starts to break down, increase to medium speed until completely broken down and smooth. Add lemon juice, avocado, frozen berries, vanilla protein powder, and fiber. Blend well on medium to high speed until desired consistency is achieved, about 1 minute. Enjoy immediately!