Many women ask me what the ONE supplement I recommend would be. While every woman’s body and needs are different, and no supplement is a complete one-stop-shop, there is one that may just be what you’re looking for to jumpstart your healing:
Hundreds of your body’s functions rely on this often-neglected mineral. Deficiencies lead to hormone imbalance, heart disease, infertility, high blood pressure, migraines, depression, type-II diabetes, digestive problems, lack of energy, sleep troubles, and the list goes on….
If you’re looking for the most bang for your buck when it comes to supplements, magnesium may become your new best friend! Minerals act as building blocks for your body’s systems. And if you don’t have the building blocks, your body is not going to function the way it is meant to.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium is critical to your body’s ability to relax and stay calm, so symptoms of magnesium deficiency are typically centered around your body staying on overdrive. Some things to look out for include:
- Being super irritable, restless, and anxious
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle cramps or spasms
- Lack of energy, even to the point of chronic fatigue
- Insomnia, trouble sleeping, or inability to wind down
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may be subtle…. it’s not something that’s going to hit you as something obvious and blatant, but if you are deficient, you will notice a difference very quickly once you start supplementing!
Unfortunately, magnesium deficiency can be hard to pinpoint. It’s not going to show up in a simple blood test because most of the magnesium in your body is stored in your tissue and bones. However, estimates are that up to 50% of people are deficient in this vital mineral.
If you identify with any of these symptoms, it wouldn’t hurt to give magnesium supplementation a try! That’s what is great about this mineral in particular: taking it won’t cause side effects so you can just listen to your body. If your body is begging for more and thriving with magnesium, you’ve got it! If not, no harm done.
Why You Need Magnesium
As I have already mentioned, magnesium is vital to hundreds of your body’s processes. Trust me, you need it.
Here are 8 of the most significant ways magnesium can boost your body’s healing potential:
- Stabilize mood: Magnesium is nature’s relaxation mineral, whether physically, mentally, or emotionally. Having adequate magnesium can help you fight depression and anxiety and feel calmer, less irritable, and more in control.
- Promote reproductive hormone health: Your reproductive hormones and organs rely on magnesium to keep them in balance. If you are struggling with low libido, infertility, severe PMS, or menstrual cramps, upping your magnesium could be an answer to your problems!
- Enhance sleep and relaxation: Magnesium can help calm your mind and body to help you get the rest you need. This mineral improves your sleep quality and stimulates your parasympathetic nervous system, which is the mechanism in your body that allows you to relax.
- Support your HPA axis and hormone balance: Your HPA (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal) axis regulates your body’s stress response and is critical in maintaining your hormone balance. Having enough magnesium helps your body handle stress-induced cortisol spikes to protect your body and hormones from deregulation.
- Fight against insulin resistance: Insulin is the hormone that controls your blood sugar levels. Imbalances in insulin (or your body’s resistance to it) are a major root cause of PCOS, endometriosis, hormone imbalance, issues during perimenopause, and more. Having enough magnesium can help your body regulate this vital hormone and allow your body to process it efficiently so you can stay on track!
- Cut inflammation: Studies continue to show that magnesium’s anti-inflammatory properties can help your body in many ways. Whether in muscle recovery after a workout or calming the cellular inflammation that contributes to chronic disease, having adequate amounts of this mineral can keep you living and moving with ease and grace!
- Improve energy: One thing I hear women tell me is that one of the first changes they noticed after taking magnesium is increased energy and relief from their chronic fatigue. While this may seem counter-intuitive (because I’ve been telling you how magnesium can help you relax), the two really do go together. Magnesium helps your cells convert energy more efficiently in your mitochondria, leading to less waste and more fuel to keep your body moving. It also makes sense that if you are sleeping better and recharging, you will feel more energized, too!
- Promote overall health: Whether you deal with migraines, headaches, hypertension, digestive issues, or are just looking to protect yourself against these things, magnesium is a powerful mineral to help you maintain your health!
Ways to Increase Magnesium Levels
So now that you’re on board with why magnesium is so vital, let’s talk about the best ways to up your magnesium intake on a daily basis…
#1 – Epsom Salt Baths
Many people don’t realize it, but Epsom salts are actually magnesium flakes. That’s right, your self-care bath soak just got even better!
When you use 3-4 cups of Epsom salts in your bath, you are supplying your body with this much-needed mineral. This is especially effective if you are dealing with muscle cramping, soreness from a workout, or tension. Soaking in a bath for approximately 20 minutes will allow toxins to be drawn out of your body while you absorb the magnesium you need to promote your health!
I love adding apple cider vinegar and calming essential oils like Lavender, Ylang Ylang, or Vetiver to my bath to amp it up even more!
One of the root causes of nutrient deficiencies is often stress. When you are chronically stressed, your HPA axis signals your body to halt certain processes, which leads to more imbalances and chaos. Taking time for self-care is non-negotiable. Epsom salt baths are a great way to care for yourself, show your body a little love, and support your mineral balance all at once!
#2 – Magnesium-Rich Foods
As a naturally-occuring mineral, magnesium can be found in several foods. Greens (especially spinach and swiss chard), pumpkin or hemp seeds, almonds, salmon, yogurt, and even dark chocolate all boast magnesium levels that could help you restore balance in your body.
Unfortunately, just eating these foods may not mean they are supplying your body with necessary nutrients. Because soil and food source quality has declined, our foods just aren’t as nutrient-dense as they used to be!
Digestive issues like leaky gut and an unhealthy microbiome also contribute to your inability to break down foods and use the minerals effectively. All of these things contribute to deficiencies and explain why you may just not be able to get it all through diet alone!
#3 – Magnesium Supplements
In my opinion, magnesium supplements are the best way to ensure you have enough of this vital mineral. Because of the decreased availability of magnesium in our food supply and soil, the chronic stress that depletes magnesium, and other factors that contribute to nutrient deficiencies, taking supplements is the best way to keep your body on track!
Magnesium supplements are relatively side-effect-free (aside from a laxative effect in some if you take too much — more on that later), so they are a safe way to experiment with what feels good for your body to find your strength and balance again!
A note on stress:
Anxiety, irritability, and uncontrolled stress responses are common symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
YOU CAN’T SUPPLEMENT YOUR WAY OUT OF CHRONIC STRESS.
I mean it…. if your stress is out of control, magnesium supplements may help you feel better, but they won’t solve the problem. Investing in self-care, setting boundaries, and watching out for your own mental health are how you will truly set yourself up for healing success!
What Type of Magnesium Should I Take?
It can be overwhelming to look at all the different types of magnesium, and they aren’t all the same. Let me break down what I recommend you start with if you want to start harnessing the power of this mineral:
(also known as magnesium chelate, glycinate, biglycinate, or diglycinate with magnesium oxide)
This is the best type of magnesium to try if you want to start supplementing! That’s why I’ve custom formulated Essentially Whole® Magnesium Restore — click here to get some for yourself. This supplement is formulated to be easily absorbed so you get the most out of your supplement without causing diarrhea or other side effects. It contains the most bioavailable and absorbable form of magnesium to get your levels increased the fastest!
Just because a supplement label says it’s magnesium glycinate, you still want to check out your source. I’ve created my line of Essentially Whole® supplements to provide you an easy solution: they are pure, tested for quality, and my personal choice!
This is another form of magnesium I love to have on hand — but for a very specific purpose. While Magnesium Restore is my choice for daily magnesium levels, magnesium citrate is good for those times you WANT the laxative effect, if you know what I mean.
Particularly if I’m traveling or not making the best food choices (yes, we all have those days), having magnesium citrate is a good way to get things moving again!
Start low with your magnesium citrate…taking too much may move things along too fast. Incrementally increase your dose until you find the right balance for your body!
Other Forms of Magnesium
From topical and powdered magnesium to other forms of supplements, the types of magnesium seem endless. Just be cautious: other types may not be pure or may not deliver the most magnesium to your body. You want to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck, and many other forms of magnesium are not highly absorbable by your body, which means it may just go to waste. That’s why my Magnesium Restore is the perfect choice — your body is able to use all the magnesium in the supplement to allow you to support your health!
Get the Magnesium that is Dr. Mariza Approved
My passion is to provide you with the best, safest options to help you regain your health.
That’s why I’ve custom-formulated Magnesium Restore for you with the most bioavailable form of magnesium chelate. I trust it enough to take it myself daily, and I love the results! Click here to jumpstart your healing by getting this powerful mineral for yourself!
You can also get 10% off Magnesium Restore when you buy a discounted 3-pack HERE >>>Buy Magnesium Restore Now